Blog Archive

SOCIAL MEDIA

MOVIE REVIEW: PASKAL THE MOVIE

Friday, October 19, 2018


Assalamualaikum

For the longest time, my family has been my movie buddies. Ever since they move back to Rawang 4 years ago, I almost never watch a movie without them, well, except that one time for AADC2 and oh, Infinitiy War, that's all. So when I betray them this time with Ayu, I paid the price the next day. I watched Paskal, two days in a row! Well, that's a lot for someone who's a bit judgy when it comes to any Malay movie.

Thank God it's Paskal though. I love the movie. I give it 7/10. I would give this credit entirely to the shots, the camera work, the cinemagraphy (is this a word), basically the whole video work (again, is this a word)? For me, every single scene was so beautifully shot I sometime forget that I am watching a Malay movie. That opening scene, that parachute drop with the clouds as background, that fighting scene, awesome.


As for other stuff, writing, needs a lot of improvement, especially on the characters backstory and development and acting, errmm, still feels like a high school play, but thank God it's an action movie, not much acting needed, stylist, good job on the whole team uniform but what a bad choice for Arman's mother, like kenape awal2 so traditional looking with traditional malay kurung and anak tudung but towards the end no more anak tudung and what with the pants? No complain about pants but it distort the whole identity, if it's going to be a modern makcik then be consistent from the beginning.

Having said all that, I would still love to compliment the whole team for a job well done. For me, this is a really good movie and this movie set the bar quite high for other future movies....if, Malay movies will only improve from here now on, I would love to support Malay movies once again. 

P/S: This movie makes me greedy like "kalaulah Abah ada mesti die suka tengok movie ni," then I snapped back, Astaghfirullahalazim. He's in a much better place now he ain't got no time to care about Paskal.

Post a Comment