Blog Archive

SOCIAL MEDIA

What I get from facebook: Commitment

Wednesday, November 8, 2017


Assalamualaikum

I'm hardly on facebook BUT when I am, oh boy, I can spent hours on it with all those videos, pictures and articles people share. It's similar to youtube. You go there for one thing but the next thing you know, you're watching documentary on penguins.

Anyway, so here is what I learn from my current facebook journey.

1. Commitment

On one video shared by my friend, a person ask a life coach about commitment. Why is it so hard to commit? be it to love, friendship, work, dreams basically everything.

That coach answered with something along this line,

"In general people are worst at committing to anything these days, I think people are worst at committing to a career, I think they're worst at committing to a life path, I think they're worst at committing to marriage. I think we have shorter attention spans, and also we have, I think, a certain level of entitlement these days, that makes us feel like we're entitled to a job that is amazing and exciting the whole time, and as soon as it is not, we feel like we need to quit and move on to something else. I think we feel like we're entitled to a relationship that isn't any work,  that's supposed to be easy and as soon as it is not, we start looking for the next thing.," Matthew Hussey (Ok he's not actually a life coach more of a relationship coach but wtv)


I took 2 weeks of compassionate leave recently and coming back to work, 700+ emails unopened in my inbox, work has been very challenging. To make matter worst, I recently change role, so lots of knowledge transfer need to be done, both from me to my replacement and from the person I am replacing to me. Annnnnddddddd, it was month end some more. Not going to lie, it was tiring....really really tiring I kept asking myself "do I really need to work? do I really need the money? why people need money?" -_____________________-

Then I saw this video. I was reminded of the time I left my previous job....which to tell you the truth, I gave up on that job. hahaha. yup ugly truth...it was not because it was time to move on or because I needed different exposure or because I wanted higher pay.....it was simply because it was too much for me to handle, I ran away. I remember at that time, I just came back from a week long holiday from Korea....I got to work the very next day, still in holiday mood, I was shocked with the whole working environment, anything that I can cope pre-holiday, I can't do it anymore, like the stress of the deadlines, long hours, tough clients, seniors yelling at you, juniors asking too many questions.....I was annoyed with literally everything and  suddenly, I don't want this anymore. F**k this shit! I say.

Cowardly, I resigned.....without any plan! tsk tsk classic generation Y.

Now older and wiser, hopefully, I'll not make the same mistake twice finger crossed!

Post a Comment