Blog Archive

SOCIAL MEDIA

Mother tongue

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Assalamualaikum

This is the conversation I had with my colleague,

"I rasa dia macam weird sikit" said my non-Malay colleague
"kenapa kenapa?" - me
"Normally Melayu kan, kalau I non-malay cakap dengan U guys dalam bahasa, U will definitely use Malay back kan? tapi this girl kan, I cakap dalam bahasa dekat dia sebab lift tu penuh dengan expat tau, lepas tu dia reply I in english...I macam errrmmm okay,"

***

What about you? Will you use english or Malay? 

Depends.

For formal conversation, like interviews, I am more confortable with english...maybe because that's what I am used to with work.

For casual conversation, I would definitely use Malay. The thing is, after working for so long with expats, you kind of crave to speak in Malay. Serious. All my local friends feel it too no matter what race they are and if you talk in english to us, we'll feel betrayed. haha. childish I know!

Speaking of which, the other day in surau, this 2 girls were conversing fluently in english complete with accent and all when suddenly one of them tripped and blurted out,

"Oh mak kau!"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahhahahaahhaaha. 
#thingswedosubconciously

***

Btw, for me, the rules is completely opposite in writing. English feels more casual to write than Malay. When it comes to Malay, I want it to be perfect. Just the other day, Farid and I was translating some script that need to sound casual, we were debating whether to use emak kandung/mak kandung/ibu kandung for birth mother for a good 30 minutes. 
-___________-

Post a Comment