Blog Archive

SOCIAL MEDIA

First voting experience

Sunday, May 13, 2018


Assalamualaikum

I voted for the first time this year! wehooo. This could be my second but I missed the first one, just because. Did not even register. I was 23 at the time. Young and ignorance, I don't think I could change anything with voting.

Now, older and hopefully wiser, I even went through the hassle to change our Hong Kong ticket, emailed Airasia, application got rejected, paid 180 ringgit extra to change the flight just so that I could vote! effort.

Woke up early, me and Afella (another first time voter) reached the voting centre around 9 o clock in the morning. Emak kept reminding me to bring umbrella because she predicted that the queue is going to be looonnng and it was hot outside she didn't want me to be in a bad mood.  Well, her exact words were "bawak payung tu. Nanti kat sana panas belum apa apa dah marah," -_________- my mom knows me too well. Thankfully, we were on Saluran 9 and Saluran 9's line was under the building with fans so did not have to berjemur at all. I obviously have nothing to complain but poor older people in the school because all other saluran need to queue outside, under the sun! but the younger saluran (9 and above), we were the one s under the shades. Life is unfair like that. >.<


I was and still am a political illiterate. It is not that I don't care about Malaysia, I do, I am an INFJ for God sake. I want not just Malaysia, but the world to be better. What I don't believe in is politician. I haven't found one that I can say with absolute certainty, "ok, this guy is clean,". Power changes people, never underestimate power. Even the cleanest of them all, when given power, well, most of them, sooner or later, they'll succumb to the power and greed. Human in general keep disappointing me and that's the major reason why I shy away from politic.

However, as I got older, I realise, this is still an election. Regardless whether I vote or not, someone will still be elected when he/she received the most vote. If a lot of people keep abstaining from voting, like #undirosak movement, the worst candidate could be elected! and when this happen, you can only blame yourself for not voting the better candidate.

With that in mind, I decided to vote. My thought process was if I can't find the cleanest or the best according to my standard, I'll vote for 2nd best. and if both are bad, I guess, I'll vote for the one less bad. I will make my vote count!

***

The rest was history. This is by far, the most controversial election ever and I am glad that I was part of it. I am both happy and proud with us Malaysian. We did this quietly, without any bloodshed, rusuhan and what not. My boss asked me on Tuesday about the voting holiday we had on Wednesday and he asked us why our HSE manager send alerts to everyone to be careful and we told him about the whole history, on why this election is super important to Malaysia and he was surprised. He was like "why I don't see people marching outside? Why it is so quite? There's no rally whatsoever!. In India, days before election, you can see people fighting and shouting on the street. I don't think you guys will win". Tomorrow, I will proudly go to him and say "well, we did it, in peace,"

***

However, my happiness was short lived. Days after the election, things are still very ugly. 

For starter, lalang BN people keep changing their words and are now declaring that they are pro-PH and have always been, all along. It is not just the public figures, the commoners as well. I came back from Hong Kong to a neighborhood with BN election banners and flags still hanging cause no one wants to clean that up. Why are you changing your words? Why are you ashamed of your beliefs? In the next election, if BN wins, are you going to change back to BN? You lose, big deal. Fix yourself and try again next time. I thought that's what a competition is all about.

Secondly, people who are pro-BN, are being bullied on the internet. Because of this pressure, some became point no 1, some fight with the netizen and some remain quiet till hopefully, this dies down. Why are you this shallow? Why are you belittling them just because they believe in something that you do not? You asked for kebebasan bersuara so why are you killing their voices? You might not benefited from things like BR1M or SL1M that was introduced by the previous government but some did. They should not be shamed just because they admire the previous government. So stop calling them the traitor. The new government that we choose is for everyone....not just for the people who is pro-PH, We have to remember that and be humble.

Thirdly, eager commoners pushing PH to fulfill their manifesto right there and then. Wait what? This is the funniest of them all. Running a country is not that easy you know. Just be patient.

With this change of government, I hope we too, can change our mindset. We too should contribute to a better Malaysia. Share things responsibly on social media, use better words, think before we speak, interact better and most importantly, respect each other. *Peace* 

Post a Comment