Last week, I had a long overdue catch up session with Yati. Alya was there too but I see her all the time so let's not focus on her :P
We updated each other about mostly work, and a little bit about our non-existence love life (because let's admit it what's a catch up session without this kind of stories)
***
One of the things that we discussed that day is about life after audit...about when to move and how it is after moving etc etc. Several of our friends recently move out of audit and they had been saying the same thing, they sometime regret they move out. However, when asked whether they want to become a partner, everyone said no.
As someone who'd moved out myself, I know really well how hard the transition period is. For starter, it's lonely. Audit is like another school after university. Almost everyone is fresh. That is our first job. Our first step into this scary adult life. We bonded over the hardship, the difficulties to survive. Jumping to commercial, it feels like a graduation. Finally, this is it. This is the real world. Now you are accountants, analysts, managers to your new company. The responsibility that comes with it, it's scary. I am not saying that auditors have less responsibility, they have a lot more work with a lot more things to look at but the focus is just so different now. You are not just auditing, now, you are the owner of the accounts. Everything you do, is part of a bigger picture, it affects decision made by your bosses....and if you are managers, managers in commercial is definitely not the same as managers in audit. their position is a lot higher than audit, and you know what comes with higher job title? loneliness. No matter how much you try, your subordinates know you are their boss and no matter how good as a boss you are, nobody wants to be close to a boss. #sadreality
So, this is what I've been telling my friends who regret their decision to move out although they don't want to become partners,
"You don't miss audit, you miss your friends, and the carefree life,"
Speaking of which, something really heart breaking happened to Yati recently. If you're still wondering, of course she's not okay. Who could be? I know I wouldn't. but what helps according to her, is the support system she gets from our friends. The day it happened, Hasan asked her "kereta mana kau nak calarkan?," some even go so extra like, "takpe kau still 10/10 dalam hati aku," *puke* whatevs the point is, support system. That's what so great about being in audit. The relationship goes beyond just simply colleagues, we're friends.
***
At the end of it all, we concluded, that we (me, Alya and Yati) are not manager material. Lol that's so random....or is it not? :P That's the conclusion we arrive after a long discussion on why we have less and lesser motivation to work these days. Why we think we perform less compared to past years....and the one thing we all have in common is our recent change in role and job description. We are of the opinion that we can perform well when we are the one preparing instead of reviewing, hence, the not manager material conclusion...or in me and Alya's case, not Analyst material.
That's what we conclude but the thing is, do we want to become stagnant? We have to improve somehow. I still can't decide whether is this really not for us or we simply lack training.
***
About love stories, jeng jeng jeng :P I can't believe Yati bought it when Alya tricked her that she's getting married. I mean, we are bad liars! We even tersengih at each other the whole time how can she not see it? so innocent this girl.
Post a Comment