Blog Archive

SOCIAL MEDIA

SHOPAHOLIC ON REHAB

Thursday, December 20, 2018


Assalamualaikum

To future self:

You might not remember this but at 28, you're a monster when it comes to shopping. You're someone that Alya wanted to slap, Najiah wanted to avoid, Shri silently disapprove and Kak Ila ........ well, Kak Ila doesn't have the right to say anything, she's as bad as you are.

And it doesn't help that you have people like Kak Ila, Del and Ayu in your life...and your mom. LOL. Now that I put it this way, almost everyone in your life is as bad as you in managing money. 💀


Just thought that I have to announce it properly. I am currently on rehab guys. Don't send me pictures of store sales, instagram seller's promotion deal, new arrivals, Air Asia's cheap flight, basically anything related to purchasing anything; just don't. How serious am I in making this work? I have my mom hold my credit card. :'(

Is this extreme measures really necessary? It is. lol. To give you a back story, I make good money (according to my standard)....with the money that I'm earning every month, Farid would have save thousands. Me? nope. Believe it or not, although I am earning this much, I save nothing. My life is almost kais pagi makan pagi kais petang makan petang. Okay before you say I am such a spoil person or perempuan tak reti bersyukur, when I say kais pagi makan pagi kais petang makan petang, I don't mean the literal translation. Alhamdulillah for that......but what I really mean is I spend every cent that I earn.

I recently (better late than never) realise that this is bad, really really bad. I cannot keep purchasing useless stuff that I don't need. No I don't need that ice shaver, I don't need that CalaQisya reflection comfortwear (Update: fail to resist!), I don't need that bedside lamp, I don't need an office humidifier, I certainly don't need a new laptop.

***
It has been 3 weeks and so far so good guys. I survived 11.11 sale, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, 12.12, Shopee Anniversary and I hope I survive this coming Y.E.S. Pray for me guys!

Like dieting, I attempted saving several times but to no success. I tried the famous save 5 ringgit or 20 ringgit thingy. That did not work. I guess, like dieting, it involves a lot of trial and error until you find one that suits you and will stick hopefully till eternity.

The one that's been working for me currently is the one suggested by my good friend Qila Adni. She's been practising this since forever. It worked for her. You'll be surprised if you know how much she's been saving using this method alone.

What she suggested:

Bring in a new 50 ringgit everyday. Spend only up to that much that day. At the end of each day, take out whatever you have left in your wallet and put it aside. The next day, repeat the same process.

In the beginning, even this doesn't work for me....because sometimes, there were days where you really need to spend more than 50 per day. What I do initially, I borrowed from the next day but one thing about borrowing, either from someone else or from yourself, it is never a good idea. You are sacrificing your future for something that you had spent in the past.

What I do nowadays, I set aside 500 per month to cater to all this weird unexpected purchases. If I need to spend more than 50 per day, I'll top it up with this stash. How did I replenish this fund? I'll transfer whatever I save from my 50 per day activity to this stash.

E.g.

If I save in total 400 ringgit a month from my 50 ringgit per day but I had used 200 from my 500 emergency spending fund, from the 400 I save, I'll transfer 200 to the fund and the remaining 200 I'll transfer to my saving account.

Get it?

If you're a saving master, you might laugh at my method. sushhh you. This steps might seem small to you, but for me and my other shopaholic friends, this is a big step. Baby steps guys.

Post a Comment