Blog Archive

SOCIAL MEDIA

WEEKEND GATEAWAY DECEMBER 2018: PENANG DAY 1

Monday, December 17, 2018


Assalamualaikum

If you follow me on instagram, I recently have difficulties sleeping at night. One of the many random things I do at night is answering instagram story checklists questions. It was the in thing several months ago and as usual, I am always late to the party. 

One of the checklist I recently answered is on "self-care". This is the reason why I tick the "Say yes to something fun" box; I agree to this Penang road trip!!!

This is my first time in Penang. I know right, what a shame. Am I even a Malaysian?

We booked ourselves a decent accomodation......not. I am tagging it here so you'll not make the same mistake. Mistake no 1: We trust the picture. Mistake no. 2: We did not read the review. Should have trust the review. So many things to complain but I think listing it here would ruin this entire post. If you're curious, you can go and read the reviews on Booking. They are pretty self explanatory. 

This is Jess and Erlia's first bad experience during travelling. I was surprised because I had plenty of bad experiences (the worst being that condom story) so I feel the need to apologise to them. Is this because of my bad luck? -___-"

We reached Penang quite late so we don't really do much on the first day. We had our late lunch at Deen's Maju Nasi Kandar and I wanted to stop by at a local bookstore, Gerak Budaya. Confession: I insisted so bad to go to Gerak Budaya just because it's so instagramable hahaha #2018problem not because I wanted to buy books. -____-" However, once there, to my surprise, I actually like it there. They have a lot of books with title or authors I have never seen before. Jess and Erlia had fun too. 


After we finished, with no set itinerary, we walked around the area.




Around 6, it started to rain so we decided to go back to our hotel to freshen up. We were supposed to go out again at night but oh well, uncomfortable bed is still a bed. None of us have the energy to fight the bed magnet so we just spend our night indoor talking and listening to music. #impromptuintermittentfasting 

Jess, our DJ played a lot of songs that I generally like too. So she asked, "Athirah, kamu juga suka lagu with lyrics?" Her question stunned me. All this while, I was struggling to define my song preference. Do I like emo songs? Do I like acoustic? Do I like indie band? How do I categorise all this random songs that I like? Jess put it easily, songs with lyrics, yes, that sounds about right.

This also reminds me about Ayu. She once said that she hates it when people listen to her playlist because it feels like someone is entering her brain and steal her thoughts. I hate it too....because whenever someone did, my playlists are generally too depressing for a lot of people. Some even thought that I have something bad going on with my life. It could be true for maybe 20% of the time, but 80% of the time nothing was really going on with my life but I just love to listen to songs with lyrics. And then I'll try to feel the emotion the songs were trying to make me feel. It's so therapeutic to me but how do you explain this to people?

Me and Jess had several round of lyric analysis and it's so weird how we are so similar I had to ask,

"Jess, U INFJ ke?"
"Iya! Kamu juga?"

I knew it!

One of the song that we had fun analysing

"There are times I can't see us apart
But even a broken clock is right twice a day"

Post a Comment